Recalls: December 2011 Archives
A third child has become ill due to a rare bacterial infection called Cronobacter sakazakii, and it is not yet known whether this is due to consumption of infant formula. ChildSafetyBlog.org readers will recall the sad news of last week and our posting about the 10-day old infant who had been given the formula, Enfamil Premium Newborn Powdered formula, contracted a bacterial infection called Cronobacter sakazakii, and died.
During the Christmas holidays, many stores besides Walmart -- including Kroger's, Safeway, Walgreen, and SuperValu, all pulled the 12.5 oz. containers of Lot No. ZP1K7G Enfamil Premium Newborn Powdered formula from their shelves. Mead Johnson Nutrition, the manufacturer, didn't pull the product from its distributors or retailers, but began testing their products for the bacterium.
Now, a third child has come down with the rare bacterial infection of which the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) says, "Between four and six cases of cronobacter are reported in a typical year. So far, 10 cases have been reported in 2011 which is still within a normal range." http://blogs.webmd.com/breaking-news/2011/12/third-baby-tests-positive-for-cronobacter.html
As of December 23, 2011, Mead Johnson Nutrition said all batches of Enfamil were tested for Cronobacter bacteria before they were shipped, and if an ingredient or batch are found to contain the bacterium, they are rejected. They also said "the lot used by the newborn's family did not test positive for Cronobacter when the company tested it." http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D9RQDD881.htm
Mead Johnson Nutrition has been working with the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to test the formula. According to a statement from Mead Johnson, no traces of cronobacter have been found.
Also according to a posting on WebMD of December 28, 2011, "Although the babies in Illinois and Oklahoma had been given infant formula, it's not yet known whether the formula was the source of the infection, according to a CDC spokesperson. The baby in Oklahoma was not fed Enfamil, and the baby in Illinois reportedly was fed several different types of formula. The CDC reports that state health authorities are currently testing the formulas and the water they were mixed with to determine the source of the infection and to uncover any possible links between the three cases. So far, no direct connections have been found." http://blogs.webmd.com/breaking-news/2011/12/third-baby-tests-positive-for-cronobacter.html
ChildSafetyBlog.org is following this news and will provide updates as we learn them.
Walmart has pulled Enfamil, the Mead Johnson baby formula, off its shelves in stores throughout the nation following the death of a10-day old infant due to a bacterial infection. The formula lot number pulled off the shelves is ZP1K7G.
According to a report by local television station KYTV, a 10-day-old infant died from a rare bacterial infection following the purchase of powdered Enfamil baby formula from a Walmart in Lebanon, Missouri.
Mead Johnson Nutrition, the company that produces the formula, is performing tests to determine whether the baby died due to ingesting the formula, the water that was mixed with the formula, or some other cause. Chris Perille, the company's spokesperson, said the company is confident about the safety and quality of their products.
For more information on Enfamil or if consumers find they have this lot number ZP1K7G, please call Mead Johnson Nutrition at 1-800-BABY-123 or 1-800-222-9123.
This week, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) announced the recall of some Children's Henley Pima Cotton Pajamas which did not meet the federal flammability standards for children's pajamas and "pose a risk of burn injury to children." Every year, according to the National Association of Fire Marshals, "more than 4,000 consumers suffer severe burn injuries and an estimated 150 or more die when their clothing ignites from even minimal exposure to ordinary household ignition sources."http://www.firemarshals.org/programs/flammable-building-contents/wearing-apparel.
Approximately 2,300 units of these cotton PJs were recalled from the Bliss Collection of two-piece, cotton sleepwear sets, sizes 2 to 12. The pajamas are white, blue, pink or red colored fabric, and "Bella Bliss" is printed on the neck tag. The PJs were manufactured in Peru, imported to the U.S. and sold from the Bella Bliss catalog, the Bella Bliss website, and by specialty clothing retailers and online stores from January 2008 to June 2011 for approximately $48 to $58. Parents and caregivers should remove these PJs from the child's clothing closet and return them to the store for a full refund, exchange or store credit. For additional information on this recall and return procedures, consumers may contact Bella Bliss' toll-free number (866) 846-5295 between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. Eastern Standard Time Monday through Friday or visit the firm's website atwww.bellabliss.com. To view a photo of the recalled PJs, please go to the CPSC website at: http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml12/12053.html.
Children's Sleepwear federal regulations, 16 C.F.R., Subchapter D, Parts 1615 & 1616, basically define what makes up children's sleepwear and the processes for testing textiles used in children's sleepwear, so that fabrics used are tested for flammability before garments are introduced into the marketplace. The Flammable Fabrics Act (FFA), enacted by the U. S. Department of Commerce, is enforced by the CPSC and contains the standards by which clothing textiles are tested and regulated for flammability. The FFA was passed in 1953 in response to public outcry over a several serious burn accidents that involved brushed rayon, high-pile sweaters, known as "torch sweaters", and children's cowboy chaps which could catch fire easily and flash burn. Lightweight rayon, cotton fleece garments and clothing made of extremely lightweight silk also pose serious burn risks.
Children's sleepwear is usually made from polyester fiber and is subject to more strict flammability standards than other clothing on the market. Testing requirements for children's sleepwear specify that all garments and fabrics used in children's sleepwear must self-extinguish when exposed to a small, open flame. Passing the flame test doesn't mean that a garment is not flammable, however. Clothing can still catch fire and burn--just not as easily as certain other fabrics. The federal flammability regulations also recommend that children not wear loose-fitting sleepwear, which also poses a burn hazard. The language describing flammability of clothing also can be confusing: Garments are referred to as flame resistant if the fabric meets the CPSC guidelines without requiring a chemical treatment. (A fire retardant garment is one that has been chemically treated to resist burning when a flame is present.) But parents should note that heated fabrics can also melt causing injury!
There are stiff penalties for violations of these FFA regulations. "The manufacture for sale, the sale, or the offering for sale of any product, fabric, or related material which fails to comply with an applicable standard or regulation issued under the FFA is prohibited. The FFA provides for civil penalties of up to $6,000 per product involved with any violation, and a maximum penalty of up to $1.5 million for any related series of violations." When clothing catches fire, it is serious. Parents need to pay attention to flammability of children's clothing, and be informed by reading the hang-tags and the manufacturers' notices attached to the garments they purchase for their children and by checking the CPSC recall notices.http://www.fabriclink.com/university/code.cfm
We want everyone to have a safe and happy holiday season!